Thursday, February 28, 2008

Baby has an eviction date!

If you prefer to be surprised as to when the baby is going to arrive, don't read any further! This is your fair warning!

No, really, if you don't want to know, just close your browser window now. I'm not forcing you to read any further, and don't want to hear you complain about how we aren't leaving you any surprises (we know the gender, we know the date... keep in mind we don't know the name yet, so that and his length & weight will all be surprises).

Okay, if you're still here, this is the scoop...

I am 37 weeks and 1 day now, and saw my dr and the anesthesiologist today. My doctor has been very pro-natural birth this whole time despite my already having had a c-section with Benjamin. But today she finally came around to my viewpoint: why bother making me go through labor when it's very likely to end in a c-section anyway, given my size and the baby's size? We agreed that this baby may be a little bit smaller than Benjamin (he was 9 lbs even at birth) but probably not a lot.

So I now have a scheduled c-section for the morning March 13th (she did ask me first whether I had any objections based on superstition, but I don't). Keep your fingers crossed that the baby doesn't decide to try & show up any earlier than that; I have no desire to see how fast we can make the hour and a half trek to the hospital nor to beg my father-in-law at the last minute to meet us to keep Benjamin if the baby decides to come before my mom arrives March 11th.

I have to do one more round of blood tests and see my doctor once more next Saturday, and then will check into the hospital the afternoon of the 12th.

Even after the months of morning sickness and various aches & pains, Frédéric and I still don't quite believe that in 2 weeks from today, we'll have another baby! I think we are in for a major shock. But the baby's room is ready, he has plenty of clothes (we bought some more 1-month size sleepers after realizing how truly ugly most of Benjamin's were; they were hand-me-downs and I feel bad making another baby wear such ugly clothes even if it's for a short time), and Benjamin has been reading books about "the new baby" that a friend loaned to me. So I think we're as ready as we can be -- other than the whole name issue...

...if you have name suggestions, feel free to leave them in your comments. Jordan, I'm sorry to tell you that I don't think we'll be using Jordan Travis. Sorry! And since you are taking either Cadwalader or Fred Alice, I don't know what that leaves for us, unless Ryan lets us use Pambo.

4 comments:

Jordan said...

=( I think Jordan Travis is a great name. You do realize, if this all happens on the 13th, your child's birthday will be on Friday the 13th some years.

Alisa said...

Yup, sort of like someone else's anniversary. So I guess we're as superstitious as you are.

Tiffany said...

How exciting! That's great that your mom can come out to help. Two boys are GREAT, but they are a handful! Blessings and have a safe "uneventful" delivery!

Chris Burkholder said...

We're praying for you. We will have to compare notes on you being the only female in your family and me being the only male in mine.

We've worked more on the girls name list than the boys name list, in terms of ones that work in English and French without modification (other than exchanging an é for an e on Chloe).

You could take the Spanish form of a name like we did with Julia...I can't think of a good example for a boy though!