Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Eskimos

We got MORE snow. Yay. Monday I attempted to take the boys to school, but the car started sliding when we were about 50 yards down the "cow path." I decided to back up while I still could, and tried the forest road instead. Our village had been pretty well plowed out by our municipal employee. The same could not be said for either the cow path or the forest road. I did make it to the end of the forest road, but realized I'd have a hard time turning right onto the road, since most people went left, and snow was all built up to the right. Then I got to thinking that even if I got the boys to school, I might not be able to get them at noon.

So instead, I turned left to find somewhere to turn around... had to drive all the way to town to find a spot. I called the teacher from there to let him know the boys wouldn't be coming in, and we headed back home. It was a valiant effort!

Tuesday, Frédéric told me that the roads were even icier, so I didn't even make the attempt. Bus service and cafeteria service were both cancelled, but not school. And the main roads weren't really that bad, but driving from village to village was impossible.

The boys didn't mind not going to school, and with help from the Public Works Director (aka "Daddy"), they got to build an igloo in the front yard.



Gala tried to play the part of the protester who didn't want the igloo built there, but the boys managed to fend her off long enough to finish their project.

*Parental Mythology disclaimer: You might think from these pictures that they worked together cheerfully and didn't bicker a bit. You just go right on thinking that. That's the point of these pictures.

No comments: