Sunday, May 4, 2014

WWI Museum, Champagne Cellar, and the Phantoms

On May 2, we visited the Musée de la Grande Guerre (The Great War Museum).

It was inaugurated in 2011, and we had never been there before.

Benjamin had to write a "what I liked best over spring break" paper at school, and this is what he picked.




The boys had swim practice that afternoon, so Don, Aaron, and I went to visit a champagne cellar. We had called ahead this time to be sure to get the tour in English... but when we got there, the tour guide tried to con me into letting him give the tour in French while I translated. I politely told him I probably didn't have the right vocabulary for it, so he had to do it in French and in English since another small group came at the same time.



On the way to the champagne cellar, I saw signs for the Phantoms, which we had looked for the day before but hadn't found. So on our way back, we took a detour to see these imposing fellows, sculpted by Paul Landowski.

I wonder how many Americans (or French people, for that matter) have ever seen this monument. It is in the middle of nowhere, as you can see in the picture.



And on the way home, we drove by these chapel ruins. We've driven by this spot a couple of times before, but can never seem to remember where it is to go take pictures.

No comments: