Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Confinement: Day 8

We're starting week two of confinement, and we started week two of "distance learning" yesterday. At 9 a.m., Noah was still in bed - he told us the bright side of all this is he can get up when he wants in the morning. I can't disagree.

As I did all last week, I started today by walking to my office - several yards away, under the carport, in my camper. I have a heater, internet hookup, and electricity, not to mention peace and quiet for working. My work hasn't been very affected yet, but time will tell as the virus spreads through the U.S.

Frédéric is inside, in charge of making sure the boys stay on track with their schoolwork. He also cooks for us, but that is no different from normal times.

The prime minister, Edouard Philippe, spoke last night to clarify a few things: exercise near the home must be no more than once a day, no more than an hour, and within a kilometer of your home. Open air markets are closed now unless a mayor asks for an exception, and the departmental prefect grants it. The only authorized medical visits at the moment are urgent ones, or ongoing treatments (dialysis, cancer treatments). It's unlikely that the confinement will be over in one more week. 

So we'll keep on with our new normal for a while longer.

No comments: