Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pretty Flowers and More Rules

I think the blog has been a bit Noah-concentrated lately. (Only fair, since it was necessarily Benjamin-concentrated the first year of its existence.) I'm sure you're all wondering what Benjamin is up to, though. (Sorry, Noah, such is life for the second child.) Benjamin went on his second field trip yesterday, to the puppet theater. It was an afternoon field trip, so we brought him to school for it even though he doesn't normally attend in the afternoons like the other kids. His teacher didn't miss the chance to tell us what a great time Benjamin had coming to school in the afternoon (hint, hint). We're not taking the bait, unless his teacher wants to take Benjamin home with him after school and deal with the meltdowns that inevitably take place after no nap and overstimulation. I'll spare you last night's drama, but drama at bedtime there was indeed.
* * * * *

Today it was a little warmer out, so Frédéric took the boys out to play. Benjamin brought me some "flowers" in from the yard. "Mommy, mommy! I'm bringing you some flowers because they are very pretty! Look, are they pretty, Mommy? They are very pretty!" 

I accordingly praised their prettiness and found them a place of honor right in the middle of my desk. Later, from the hallway, I hear Benjamin call: "Mommy, are you keeping your flowers, because they're in your office, because they're very pretty?" 

Jordan says he's probably so insistent about their prettiness because he's trying to make up for something bad he did. If so, I don't want to know. 

* * * * *

We had the following exchange a few days ago - Benjamin is still making the rules: 

Me: (whistling) 

B: (indignantly) What did I just said?!? 

Me: Um... (thinking back) I don't know. What did you just say? 

B: I said, you stop singing in the house. We don't sing in the house. We only sing in the car!! 

 Huh. I wasn't aware of that rule. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, so I guess it's a good thing he let me know.

No comments: