Sunday, May 31, 2015

Instilling some patriotism

Besides trying to encourage my kids to speak English well, I also try to help them appreciate the American side of their culture. To this end, we attended the Memorial Day ceremony at the Aisne-Marne cemetery this year, in Belleau, France. This is where the Battle of Belleau Wood took place, where the Marines made a name for themselves during World War I.

It's way out in the country.

The boys are learning a lot about WWI in school since it's the centennial, and we take advantage of the museums and cemeteries in our area to help them learn more. The extremely knowledgeable curator of this cemetery is retiring this year. Hopefully his replacement will be just as enthusiastic.

US Marines.


Proof I was there, too. And we found the Missouri flag.

This monster always has this devious expression on his face.
It was French Mothers' Day, so Benjamin offered me a poppy.

No comments: